Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How wise is it to install UltraVNC on client machines in network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAOx

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2006
US
I know the main difference between VNC and RDP is the security/encryption. The problem with RDP is that if I connect to users machines they get knocked out of their session plus they can't see whats going on. Is it *secure* to install UltraVNC as a service on all client machines and keep them there. I will not open any ports on our hardware router to the outside world. Any drawbacks?

If you are only using it in-house, the only security issue would be someone capturing someone else's computer with a higher level to get into files or areas they are not suppose to. You use passwords with vnc, so that can be prevented if it is just for the technical staff or if everyone is required to log off their computer when they leave their station.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

I am not opening any ports on the hardware/router firewall but I would have to for the network software firewall? I am guessing that I need to open an individual port for each client, say 5900, 5901, etc etc?

We've had another VNC variant (RealVNC) installed across 1,200 PC's for the last 4 years and across an additional 3,800+ PC's for the last 2 years.

We remove the 'viewer' from user's workstations, use authentication plus the 'Hosts' setting to restrict viewer access from just a named range of (IT Support) IP addresses and use the 'QueryConnect' setting so users have to authorize incoming requests to connect.

We also use 'DisableOptions' and 'DisableClose' settings so users cannot re-configure the settings or change the password via the Notification Tray icon (and lock users out of the registry so the settings cannot be changed directly).

Have a look at the server documentation at for more info about securing the VNC server.

So far we haven't had any reported cases of misuse.

Hope this helps...

If you are using UltraVNC on your own network, it is pretty safe. If you want it to be as secure as it can be, then deploy it with the Windows authentication enabled and encryption turned on.

You can get information about how to do it in this youtube video:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back