Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How well do Win 98 clients fare in W2K domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaresa

IS-IT--Management
Apr 9, 2002
US
My experience with Windows 98 clients in a 2000 domain have been poor....especially DNS. However, my employer has approxiamtely 500 98 clients that either need to be replaced or implemeted into a W2K domain once we upgrade witihn the next couple of months.

I've recommended that we replace all of these PC's whereas my employer would like to get another year or so out of them.

Was I doing something wrong in the past...can you successfully incorporate (and more importantly easily maintain)a large pool of 98 clients in a W2K domain?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Of course you can.. The only thing it really boils down to is the local security on the 98 machine's. I suppose you could create policies to help your security on them, but that can become a pain in the arse..

Then again, sometimes having users set as admins (kind of) of thier own pc can be a good thing.. i mean you'll avoid a lot of permissions issues that you would find with 2k. Thus making support attention much lighter! "tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool..
then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

"I should of been a doctor.." Me

Zaresa, my network here is about 95% Win95 and Win98 machines (but since my budget passed intact we'll be moving to XP Pro in a couple of months). Everything is working fine.

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

What kind of problems. I have around 20 W2K machines out of 250 total, and I've not had any real problems. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"All human power is a compound of time and patience."
Honore de Balzac (1799 - 1850); French author

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back