Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to XCOPY all the folders/subfolders to a destination folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feipezi

IS-IT--Management
Aug 10, 2006
US
Hello,
I am trying to xcopy some folders and files with specific suffix to a destination folder but I always get message like '0 files copied' or 'parameters not recognized'.
What I did was goto Start window and typed 'cmd' at the bottome of the window, which brought me to a black screen like a DOS window, then I typed 'xcopy .sas /s c:\destination folder
But it failed.
Anything I did wrong?
Thanks in advance.

To copy all .SAS files FROM YOUR CURRENT DIRECTORY, type
xcopy *.sas "c:\destination folder\*.*" /s
where the inverted commas are required only because "destination folder" contains an embedded blank.

To learn all about XCOPY, type
xcopy /?

For more complicated instances where "but it failed" applies, please explain exactly HOW it failed.

'xcopy .sas /s c:\destination folder

Can we assume that you didn't include that initial apostrophe in your command? If you did, the command would definitely fail.

More importantly, it's not enough simply to specify [tt].sas[/tt]; you need to do [tt]*.sas[/tt].

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back