Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to wrap nav links for non-IE browsers

Status
Not open for further replies.

maloaupito

Technical User
Jun 28, 2001
US
I use FP 2003 to create pages with horizontal navigation links created by the tree structure in FP showing child pages. When many links are automatically created, they wrap nicely to the next line ONLY in IE for PC or Mac. They do NOT wrap for MAC Netscape, Safari, Opera, Mozilla and so for many nav links, the page becomes VERY wide. What, if anything, can be done to the html code to wrap these navigation links for these browsers?

Someone posted a fix for this on my FPlist @ yahoogroups. I don't recall who originally posted this about year ago:

The problem is FP builds the links using   as a "spacer" between the links (and dots)
The format used becomes:
<nobr><A HREF="index.htm" TARGET="" STYLE="{text-decoration:
none;}">Home&nbsp;Page</A></nobr>&nbsp;&bull;&nbsp;......

And the "&nbsp;&bull;&nbsp;" as the separator prevents NN from wrapping since it does not see any whitespace in the html.

If you have FP2002 you can change the "template" used for std nav bars

In Windows Explorer go to
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\1033\botstyle Make a copy of the file Navbar.ini as say Navbar.txt (for backup
purposes)

Open Navbar.ini in Notepad and in the [Dots] template change
H-Separator="&nbsp;&bull;&nbsp;"
to (note the whitespace instead of the &nbsp;)
H-Separator=" &bull; "

You can also delete the
STYLE="{text-decoration: none;}"
in
Button="<A HREF="#URL#" TARGET="#TARGET#"
STYLE="{text-decoration:
none;}">#LABEL#</A>"

- NN4x does not support inline styles very well
- do your text decoration in an external or embedded .CSS FILE

Recommend also changing
Description=An HTML style where each link is separated by dots.
To
Description=MY custom HTML style where each link is separated by wrapping dots.

That way you will know you are using your modified style (-;

You can edit Navbar.ini for any of the other formats - or even add you own styles!
- in above example copy the whole [Dots] section and label it as [MyDots], then also change the name parameter from Name=Dots to Name=MyDots

PS - Similarly those of you using the Database Wizard you can modify LSTVIEWS.INI for the default list styles available

Tiffany

Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back