Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to work on the same solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobisto

Programmer
Feb 13, 2002
MK
I have a solution with 5 projects. How to work with a team of 10 programmers on the same solution and not having problems with it.

I can recommend this book:

Software Configuration Management Patterns: Effective Teamwork, Practical Integration
ISBN: 0201741172

It teaches you how to correctly use a software configuration management tool, like VSS.

BTW, VSS really stinks -- it tends to corrupt it's repository (not a desirable feature in a SCM tool). You might want to look at one of:

SourceGear's Vault - Looks & works just like VSS, but uses a SQL Server DB for it's repository, unlike VSS's fragile file-based system. Not free, but good. I've used it in the past.

Subversion - Very nice free OSS SCM tool. Use it with add-on projects so you can do updates & commits from the windows shell or your VS.NET IDE. Out of the box, it's command-line driven, so it's nice for scripting your builds. I use it myself.

Perforce - Expensive, but worth it. If your team members live on different continents, you need something like this. Microsoft uses it for the Windows code base. Free for two users.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back