Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to virtualize SCO v5.0.5 on VMware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thix74

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2001
FR
Hi All,

I'm in front an old lonesome.... SCO server running under SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 and hosting data we need to keep for 2 years more for legal reasons.

As the host is very old I have to migrate the system to another one to avoid any hardware crash and its consequences...

As I mounted an ESX vSphere 4 solution in production environment I'd like to virtualize this SCO server.
I tried to P2V it with the VMware Converter cold BootCD, but after the P2V operation the VM hangs at boot with a "DOUBLE PANIC" error message about hardware problems the system encountered.

Searching on the web I found several solutions but only under v5.0.7 or v5.0.7V (a virtual appliance available from SCO site): OS version I don't know the compatibility with my application.

And as I'm not able to find the media this OS was installed from I have no 5.0.5 to install on my VM (but I have the licenses).

So, does anybody here have an idea how I can generate my VM with an SCO v5.0.5 and migrate data from my old server to this "new" VM ?
Where could I find an ISO with SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 ?

I don't want to migrate the OS to v5.0.7 because I need to buy new licenses and I haven't the budget for it.

Thanks in advance, hopping read from you soon......
T.

You can order a copy of the 5.0.5 install CD's and diskette from SCO at (800) 726-6561.

You will have to prove ownership of the current license if it is not already registered to your company.

It would be far better to upgrade to 5.0.7v, the annual licensing fee that version uses should be much cheaper than buying the 5.0.7 upgrade, and renew it once and you are done.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

Can you still buy a 2 user (desktop) version of 5.0.7?
Considering that it will run on a $200 computer, I would think that it will cost less in the long run than trying to install a virtual machine.

SCO is very picky about what it will run on. I doubt any budget computer would run any copy of it.

Virtualization is the way to go.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor