Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to view network settings on 3102 phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjsvec

IS-IT--Management
Nov 25, 2002
US
I have never worked with 3Com phones, but am replacing a network and IP PBX where one exists. I pressed the little button on the top right of a working phone on the system and see the config menu, but when I look through network settings everything is basically blank as far IP, subnet, gateway NBX IP, etc. How can this be? Do these phones work on some proprietary magic or is there some other way I should be able to see this? I just want to understand what network settings they are using now.

Thanks.

teamonesolutions.com

The phone gets it IP address, subnet, Gateway address etc as per normal DHCP. If it loses power foe any reason it loses everything it retains no information. Try unplugging it should initialise and get its IP address etc.

Thanks, that makes sense. So the fact that I looked at the config via the phone and saw IP, subnet, etc all blank or 0.0.0.0 and the phone still worked and made an outbound call is strange? Maybe just a weird glitch and bad luck. I probably should have looked at a few different phones, but I only looked at the one near me.

teamonesolutions.com

Actually on 3COM - If the phones reside on the same network segment as the processor, phones do not use IP. Everything is Layer 2 driven by MAC address.
IP addresses are only needed if there are remote sites or different subnets. Seeing all zeroes and the phone working is normal and expected when the phones reside on the same segment. ~ Mike

Interesting. Thanks for that. It seems it will be difficult or impossible for me to replace network switches for the multi tenant design I have with different native VLANs for trunk ports. At least without knowledge of NBX and reconfiguring it. I am replacing the NBX too, but was thinking to get network done first and new IP PBX second. Now I think I just need to rip and replace everything at once..

teamonesolutions.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back