Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to verify hard drive has not been tampered (hashing?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelks

Technical User
Jul 11, 2001
US
I am looking for some information to verify a hard drive has not been tampered with. I need to send a hard drive out and I want to run some type authentication before it leaves. When I receive the HD back I would like to run a verification process against the drive to see if it matches the first authentication process. Utility programs, commercial programs, etc. All suggestions are welcome.

What is it you want to verify ?

Mechanical integrity ?

Or, software integrity ?

What you're saying makes no sense. If you don't want it tampered with, don't send it out. If you want to make sure the data is still the same, back it up with ghost, drive image, or backup exec and restore it when it comes back. If you're really paranoid, then erase it or zero fill it before sending it out. Also get some personlized stickers or special stickers to stick on the drive at key removal points, like over the screws, case edges, etc. to see if it was opened or screws were accessed. In any case the only reason you're sending it out is for someone to look at it, so they will tamper with it, thats what you're asking them to do otherwise why are you sending it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back