Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use WinXP command in Novell Login Script

Status
Not open for further replies.

geagle

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2003
US
How do I use the WinXP command "runas" in a Novell Login Script to run a .exe script file.

Situation: Antivirus files updates are run from the Novell login script. It is an update that stops services, copies files, start services. If I set the WinXP user as "limited user" none of the above happens. If I set the affected services on the WinXP PC to "log on" using the PC's Administrator account and password, then the services will stop and start, but the files still won't copy. Someone suggested using the runas command to start the .exe, but I don't know how to use that command in Novell. Also, the runas command is going to prompt for a password that the user has to supply. I would like to be able to embed that in the "runas" command string to answer that internally.

Otherwise, I have to set up the users as Computer Administrators and I didn't want to do that and don't need to for anything else.

Any other ideas on how to accomplish running this .exe on a WinXP PC w/user set to 'limited'?

These computers only connect to Novell.

You'd probably be better off using Zenworks and creating an application. It has the ability to run as "system" without requiring a password.

agree to script a run as is suicide

may as well tell all users to login as bob and give them the password and take the year off

zen is what you need

assume you have it for the dlu

you didnt mention what virus scanner as most do this automatically with the setup of virus stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back