Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use W2K DC-server as workgroup workstation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loekje

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2001
NL
Hi,

I have a PC that is acting as a W2000 server, even domain controller in an active directory domain.

It is put in a remote site on a wireless 11Mbs VPN WAN link to have a fail save solution for the Active Directory, as both other DC's are in the same room.

I use it as a workstation with Citrix ICA client, so it is a pretty FAT -thinclient :^))
With another network NIC it is hanging in a local network were a Linux server is using SAMBA. Now I want to use the nice color Laserjets on that workgroup!

There's no routing and the citrix client load on the server is nihil. I can ping the Linux server and on the interface that Linux box is also pointed to as WINS server.

But here's the question: how can I connect to the workgroup of the samba server? One cannot change any credentials settings as Microsoft thinks that's not appropriate for a domain-controller.

IS it impossible?

TIA
Loek Gijben

Workgroup? If this is truely a workgroup.. 1. the workgroup name would have to be the same as the domain (you're not gonna change the domain name). 2. you would need an account on the linux computer with the same name and password of the account used to log onto the domain (typical workgroup share setup). If the linux setup is running as a domain, then you'd be looking at something like joining a tree to the forest. P.S. you have a security breach by putting that wireless in place. Anyone close to the building now has access to your network. I hope you are requiring encription over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back