Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use this JAR file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bromberg

Programmer
Oct 14, 2002
US
Hi,
I've used jar files before by executing them as:
java -jar jar_file_name
but when downloading the 'caramel' jar file from this website, I am unsure how to use it. The author did not reply to my usage question so hopefully you can help. Why he would go through all that trouble to write the code and make it available at his website but not offer a sentence or 2 how how to use it, beats me !?
I suspect that I'm supposed to unzip into the 'java' files and write my own driver with a 'main' routine, but is there an easier way I'm overlooking?

Thanks,
Danny

"Why he would go through all that trouble to write the code and make it available at his website but not offer a sentence or 2 how how to use it, beats me !?"

Uh, it's a set of utility classes. And he offers more than several sentences on use. Carnage Blender. Over 40 million battles served.

Expostfacto,
Well that certainly tells me nothing. Show me one sentence where he demonstrates HOW to execute his class. Sorry, but jar files are somewhat new to me and the only ones I'm familiar with are the executable jar files, which this one isn't. If you could point me to some doc on how to use utility jar files that'd be a help.

Thanks,
Danny

sorry, but you really should read some basic documentation on classpath before asking stupid questions. much less criticising the author of a library for not providing "java for dummies" tips. Carnage Blender. Over 40 million battles served.

bromberg,

>> If you could point me to some doc on how to use utility
>> jar files that'd be a help.

On the URL you posted the author has published the "javadoc" for the API contained in the jar file. It's a link on the menubar. This is no guarantee that the documentation is complete but it is there and it might help you.

-pete

expostfacto,
I've learned never to argue with a jerk: First they drag you down to their level and then they beat you with experience.

palbano:
Thanks for pointing out that 'javadoc' link. I'll re-examine it further for possible usage info.
Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back