Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use the modem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrov

Programmer
Nov 1, 2002
PY
Hello everybody

How I can use a free table .DBF which is in other computer, connected by modem ?

What I need for use that table ?

Thanks in advance.

Walter.

See if this thread helps at all:
thread184-684816

Personally, I would try to avoid accesing any tables over a modem. Unless they are very small, they will be very slow. The application may end up reading a large portion of the table into a buffer on your local machine. That could take some time.
You may consider putting a COM sever on the remote machine and querying the table through that.

-Dave S.-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

You can look at Rick Strah's Web-Connect product at
You can write a fat web-app that accesses the data using an internet connection, even as slow as a modem . You can even create an work-offline module in case the connection is down or if you needed to take the app with you and there is no connection available.

I have a sample app, on mysite, but it does not contain the source code. Unfortunately, we have too much invested in the source code at this time and have not recovered our development costs so we can't post it free.

However, the code was developed by looking at Rick's samples and posting questions to his message board.

If you're interested in seeing how it works you can download and install the sample from my site. They are under "samples"

The sample that fits this need the most is called, "Two-Way Desktop Application (Web-Service)"

Jim Osieczonek
Delta Business Group, LLC

To Dave S.

The table is not big. This will have 32.000 bytes at most. I need to access it just for read and just one time by day.

Can you explain me how to put a COM server in the remote machine ?

Thanks a lot.

Walter.

To Dave S.

Computer #1 can to have an Internet connection. Computer #2 can not have an Internet connection. In this case ¿ How I can download the file ?

Thanks in advance.

Walter.

Use any file transfer software that can handle modems, dial up the remote compputer, and start a file transfer.
It won't be a direct file read/write connection, but you will be able to grab it and read it.

-Dave S.-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back