Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use DNS to make two servers see each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamlove

Programmer
Dec 7, 2007
US
How do I configure the domain controllers of two forests to to see each other so I can configure an external trust relationship between them?

I have two domains that I’d like to trust each other. The first is a single domain whose domain controller is running Windows 2000 and whose domain operation mode is native mode. This server is not just the domain controller, it does everything—there are no other servers, just XP clients. The second domain also has just one server running Windows 2003 R2 single domain whose Domain functional level is Windows 2000 native.

These two servers were configured independently and neither knows each other exists. To my knowledge, there is no way to add one to the forest of the other at this point.

The two servers share a Qwest DSL router/modem.

The Windows 2000 server TCP/IP properties of the local area connection have a non-routable IP address 192.168.1.22 and a default gateway IP address that is a public static IP address purchased from Qwest that is in the DSL modem. The Prefered DNS Server and alternate IP addresses are both in the Qwest system servers somewhere offsite.

The Windows 2003 server TCP/IP properties of the local area connection has a static public IP address purchased from Qwest (so that it can be used as a web server later) and a default gateway IP address that is the same public static IP address in the DSL modem as the Windows 2000 Server.

I believe my first step involves DNS. I am a bit stuck and would appreciate some help making these two servers see each other so I can make a trust relationship.

Well, you can't have Active Directory without some kind of DNS, so whether you know it or not, it's already there.

Your problem seems to be routing, not DNS. Your 2003 server with the public static address does not seem to "know" about a router back to your 2000 privately addressed server. I'd be willing to bet you can't ping the IP address either.

I'd say the easiest solution is to dual-home your 2003 server (if it has another NIC) and give it a private, internal address. You'll then be able to see the 2000 server with broadcast. You could also do something like use the 2003 server as a router (the 2000 server and any clients would use it as their default gateway).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back