Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use custom hyphenation only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakeItSo

Programmer
Oct 21, 2003
DE
Hello friends,

I am stuck in a bit of a problem here:

I would like to force FrameMaker to use custom hyphenation only.
For example, I create a custom hyphenation dictionary like this:
Code:
<MakerDictionary 2.0>
supercalifragilistic-expialidocious
With automatic hyphenation turned on, however, FM will still hyphenate like this if applicable:

supercali-fragilisticexpialidocious

...according to its self-calculated rules based on "shortest prefix / suffix" etc.
[3eyes]

Is there any way to shut off this calculation, making FM hyphenate solely and exclusively words that are listed in the dictionary at exactly the position where hyphenation has been defined and else not hyphenate at all?
[ponder]

Thanks a lot!
MakeItSo

[blue]Help us, join us, participate
IAHRA - International Alliance of Human Rights Advocates[/blue]

Hmmm..
[worm]
Seems to be a difficult thing...

Here's some additional info:

The term "supercalifragilistic-expialidocious" was a bad example in this case, as it exceeds 31 chars and will not be correctly hyphenated in any case (at least not from a custom dictionary file).

However, the problem is exactly the same for shorter words.
I have just created a custom dictionary with these entries only:
Code:
<MakerDictionary 2.0>
Gymna-sium
gering-fügig
haupt-sächlich

As you can see, none of these terms exceeds the limit, the last term being the longest with 14 characters.

In a quick test with FM, I allowed hyphenation for the paragraph and got this output:

"Die Änderungen in diesem Dokument sind völlig unerheblich, weil lediglich ge-
ringfügig"

Frame Maker hyphenated the word after "ge", because I have allowed a minimum prefix of 2 characters. It fully ignored the definition set in the dictionary file(s).
What I want it to do, however, is to make it hyphenate like this: "gering-fügig", or not at all.

In order to be on the relatively safe side, I have not only saved this three-word-list as "user.dct", but also in the dict folder of FM as
"hyphens.gmn" and
"hyphens.grm"

both of which are hyphenation dictionaries for German.

I hope this helps clarifying my problem.

Thanks a lot!
MakeItSo

OK, problem solved thanks to Adobe forums.
Here is what finally did the trick:

a) create custom dictionary just as in my previous post
b) go to "edit->spell checker->dictionaries", click on "personal dictionary: read from file"; read your custom dictionary
c) still in dictionaries, choose "re-hyphenate document"

That was it. I thought, since FM told me, which file my custom dictionary was, that it was actually using it. However, it must first read hyphenation rules from it, else it will only use it to write into it.
[tongue]

Anyway: works now, just in case someone needs this.

Cheerio,
MiS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back