Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to use an existing .mdw file on a new system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmits1975

Technical User
Mar 4, 2005
BE
Hi there,

I have an .mdb file and a corresponding .mdw, and I want to install them on a new WinXP machine. When I create a shortcut with a reference to frontend and workgroupfile, the logon screen appears and I can log on. So far so good. But: when I click the frontend file on the new pc in the explorer menu, it opens as well, without any logon info! This is not OK, because users should be able to logon only with user name and password verification.

Does anyone know what might be going on here? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Check the permissions of user Admin and group Users. Neither one should have any permissions to your database.

You new machine is pointing at the default workgroup file (SYSTEM.MDW), use Workgroup Administrator to switch from the default security file to your security file.

Access 2000: Find and run [tt]Wrkgadm.exe[/tt]
Access 2003: On the Tools menu, point to Security, and then click Workgroup Administrator.

For other versions, check the Help file (I don't have other versions installed:)).

CMP

(GMT-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back