Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to use adobephotoshop5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

liz4521

Programmer
Jul 26, 2011
JM
need to know how to use photoshop5.5 after looking the layers need to know oh to get them move.

Usually you can double click the layer then hit the enter key to unlock.

Let me know if this works for you.

sam

Layers are a concept from over a decade ago. You should catch up with a book or instructional course on Photoshop. It is very difficult to learn a program like this without structured training.

Photoshop 5.5 was the first version to introduce layers. Think of them as a stack of transparencies sheets (that you literally hold in your hand) and you can put anything you want on them but you always hold them together in a stack. You can change the order of them and layers on the top will block content from the layers below.

Moving, locking and many more things are possible with layers. But the concept as a whole in it's simplest form is what I have just mentioned.

Photoshop 5.5 would actually be a good version to learn on IMO but at the same time might hinder you. Here's why: it's good because all the subsequent versions (6, 7, and all the CS suites) added so many more features and for the beginner it's a good idea to approach this program slowly and methodically. It's too easy to get side tracked with more and more features and addons when you don't know what the dodge tool, lasso tool, or pen tool does etc. Using an older version would help to keep you going in one direction. The reason it may be bad to use this version is because many online tutorials nowadays would likely reference the later versions and alot of options and locations for certain tools were changed.

Grab a book on photoshop, find some older v5.5 tutorials and start using it. Unfortunately my old FAQ for online tutorials is probably 99% outdated as I haven't been around in a long time but simple google searches will help get you introduced to each tool and how to achieve desired effects. Good luck!

NATE

Got a question? Search G O O G L E first.

Photoshop 3 introduced layers.

It is possible that Liz meant [CS]5.5

Really? I thought when I used v5 it didn't have layers at all, although as you said this was a decade ago!

NATE

Got a question? Search G O O G L E first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back