Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to upgrade video and sound 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lnrd17

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2002
US
Thanks paparazi for your response. I only have a few more questions. Although I haven't looked inside the box yet, I'm sure the video card is AGP. Does this mean I can just purchase and install the new AGP video card and pci sound cards and install them along with the drivers or do I need to remove existing cards? What about my modem card? I think the sound card is a Riptide fax/modem/audio combination card, how will this affect my upgrade? I also need to increase my memory to at least 128MB, in your opinion should I remove existing 64MB memory or just add 64MB to get 128 total? Please excuse my lack of knowledge as I am pc illiterate. Any help is greatly appreciated. How can I vote for a response?

Thanks

I don't want to tell you anything wrong (so read your manual first)but generally to replace an excisting AGP card you would first remove the present cards drivers (add & remove programs) this is not applicable if the drivers being used are Generic (out of windows driver list) if you don't see graphics drivers on the Add/Remove list then you don't need to remove them.
After you have done this shut down, unplug, and physically swop the two cards. Restart, the system should plug and play the new card, you direct it towards the drivers in the CDrom and away you go!
A sound card add on maybe slightly more difficult in that if it is onboard sound (it doesn't have a sound card in a slot) you usually have to go into the bios screen setup
(this is done by hitting the delete button in most cases on initial boot) and disable the onboard sound, as simple as clicking on the icon and changing it from enabled to disabled and saving changes when you exit.
Turn off and disconnect the PC, fit the PCI soundcard into a spare PCI slot, reboot, plug/play point towards software driver in CDrom.
Before you do any of this, check you have the necessary upgrade slots and read your manual to make sure.
It maybe easier just getting one stick of 128 or 256 ram but perfectly possible to put another 64 next to the one you have if you can get the correct type. Go to somewhere like Crucial.com as they will be able to supply you with the correct upgrade type for your system.
Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

About the RAM, open up the case and see how many sticks are in there and how many slots are open. I like the idea of just having a stick of 128, but if you want to save some money, just get a 64 meg stick. Just make sure you get the right variation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back