Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to upgrade firmware on pSeries 615-6C3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fieryhail

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2010
Hello all,

I'm having a vexing issue with the IBM pSeries 615-6C3 server. I have one with no operating system on it. In it's former life I believe it to have been managed with an HMC, I have official IBM media for AIX 5.3 which I'd like to install and run the box as a Domino/QuickR server. No video card so I've got it connected via COM1 and an XP system with Hyperterminal. That works fine. The hard disks are all new unformatted, I have no drives with an AIX install already on them. I assume I'd do the partitioning during the AIX install, but can not get AIX 5.3 to install. When I put the disc 1 in the DVD drive and boot from the DVD whether in standard mode or service mode I get the message "No Operating System Installed". I know this already lol. When I put in AIX 4.3 media, I see the initial AIX load but immediate stdin and stdout closed which I assume means the COM ports close therefore no way to do anything. The AIX 4.3 media came from an older RS/6000 system but it shows the DVD drive works at any rate. I believe that I have to upgrade the firmware somehow but have no idea how to do this. I downloaded the most current firmware from IBM's site but all documentation shows how to upgrade firmware with an AIX OS already running. There is an option to make 3 diskettes, but I have no floppy drive on this system and from opening the system, apparently no way to install one. Does anyone have any ideas how to either load AIX 4.3 temporarily so I can upgrade the system firmware or how to get the firmware updated on the pSeries? I also tried a copy of SLES 9 PPC and got the same message, "No Operating System Installed", I am assuming it is the same reason, too old a firmware version. I'm very new to pSeries so any help is GREATLY appreciated, thanks in advance!

did you try to enter SMS menu and select manually DVD as a boot device?

Yes, same error, of No OS Installed. It happens whether I let the server boot on it's own or go to the SMS menu.

when you scan in SMS for boot device does it find CD/DVD as AIX installation boot media?
can you check if the installation meia disk and CD/DVD drive are not defect/broken? maybe you can try the installation media? - AIX 5.2 ?

For the latest TL of AIX 5.3 you need firmware release 3F041029

There are a few notes on updating the firmware in the service guide from p253:

You will probably find a IBM thinkpad slimline floppy drive will fit and work (if you can find one) in the bottom / right slimline media bay.

I suspect you should also be able to boot a diag CD and then use the service aids to update the firmware, also from CD, but cannot find a description of the procedure.

You can download a bootable image of the diag cd in iso format here:

HTH

A word of warning already - off topic for the problem at hand, but since you mentioned it in OP:

fieryhail said:
I assume I'd do the partitioning during the AIX install, but can not get AIX 5.3 to install.

Once you get it to work and load AIX, you'll just have the ONE partition with all the hardware assigned to it (full system partition). Without an HMC that's all you can do.

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back