Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to update screen when running many complex queries? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beren1h

Technical User
Jul 19, 2001
US
Hello,

I have an application that runs about 34 queries in sequence and each one would take quite a while to run to run when done individually. I'm try to provide a progress bar or any kind of display for the user to be able to see the progress of the program, but the screen will not update between the queries. In fact, as the whole thing runs you get looked out until the queries are done (several minutes).

I know that may not be the clearest and most technical description of my problem, but does anyone know what I am talking about and have a solution?

Hi

have you tried the doevents function between each query?

Im not sure if it will do what you want but it might

Good Luck

how about a
me.repaint
between running each query...

just an idea...
--James
junior1544@jmjpc.net
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

junior1554,

I just tried a test of the repaint (never heard of that one before) and it seems to do the trick.

I'll try it out for real at work tomorrow (hopefully) and if it works I'll give you another star

:)

The repaint method worked great!

i'ved used it befor with a set of 15 queries i had to do... each one returned a count into an unbound field on a form... what i used it for was to bring up each set of numbers as they went... so my user knew it was still working... I also put an unbound text box that defaults to having the text "Working..." and was invisable...

then in the start of my code, it did a me!unboundtextboxname.visable = true
then a me.repaint
then at the end of the code, i did a me!unboundtextboxname.visable = false
and every thing was filled in, and every one was happy:)

Enjoy...
--James
junior1544@jmjpc.net
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back