Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to update Patches & Fixes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sraj142

Technical User
Oct 25, 2006
IN
Hi All,
Can anybody guide me "step-by-step" to update (patches & fixes) of my AIX 5.3
Since the installation (approx 1.5 years) the system is not updated. I will be thankfull to you....

Regards- Subharaj

If you haven't applied any patches or fixes for a long time, I would suggest to apply the latest Fix pack to bring the server to the latest Technology Level.

"A fix pack is a combination of many single fixes for product components that are dependent on or related on each other. It can include new features, functions, or enhancements"

The latest fixpack "5300-08 Technology Level Service Pack 1" can be downloaded from IBM Fixcentral website and the installation instructions are under

Hi Harry,
Thanks a lot for the advise. I have gone through the site, can you please let me know whether the fix pack is tested ok ! Currently the ML is 4, while it showing 8, so wanted the confirmation...

Regards - Subharaj

I'd advise you go for TL06 SP4, later levels have included a lot of power6 code and introduced all sorts of problems.

Best practice says go for about TL06 SP3 / 4 as well for maximum stability.

HTH

Agree with Duke ont his. Normally the rule is to stay a TL back and not go for the latest, due to issues that may crop up.

The ML 4 you talk about will be TL4 as of ML3 IBM changed practice on the patches, as they now include TL and SP.

To check this use the command oslevel -s as this will show the TL and the SP levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back