Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to update/link pics in ID??

Status
Not open for further replies.

clerz

Technical User
Oct 4, 2007
US
Hi, using IDCS3 on win xp.

Question relates to working in ID, then putting an updating picture say from photoshop (drag & drop)...and doing this for several areas, several pages....

but in the link palate, I get the yellow triangle as if not linked....if I press on update link, it takes me to the explorer type window where I'm to search out the photo etc....

(however, If I save, and reopen ID, it says "update automatically)....

the question relates to get automatic relink while working in ID, as many times, I'll change something in photoshop, may move it to different folder (to reorganize) and then it won't auto-relink but have to go "manually" to relink (harder, if I forgot which folder I moved something to)...

Am I not doing something right?

Clerz ...Thanks.

You said: "I'll change something in photoshop, may move it to different folder (to reorganize)".

That's the problem. The photo has to stay in the folder from which it was linked to ID. If you move it, ID has no idea where to look.

If you wan to make things a little easier, package you ID doc (file menu) and use the resulting images (links) folder to store all the pics. Or just dreate a new folder for each job, make an images folder within that and store the pics.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Yeh it all comes down to organisation. You have to work on the files in Photoshop. Save them into a folder that you're going to use.

My normal folder structure would like this:

EugeneProject1
>Images
>Fonts
>Supplied Files
>PDFs
>InDesign Files

or something similar.

You can't move the file after you have it in InDesign, as InDesign is following a path that you told it to.

It could be C:\EugenesDocs\EugeneProject1\Eugeneimage.jpg

But if you move the .jpg to say C:\EugeneDocs\EugeneProject2\Eugeneimage.jpg

Then InDesign follows the first path C:\EugenesDocs\EugeneProject1\

and looks around, has a little poke around, says "Where heck is the file gone?" Scratches its head. Goes back to the links panel and puts up a little yellow triangle to tell you, "Hey, you moved that file! Where do I look now?" So you have to tell it, because it won't just put in any image for you, you have to tell it everything it needs to know.

Yeh it all comes down to organisation. You have to work on the files in Photoshop. Save them into a folder that you're going to use.

My normal folder structure would like this:

EugeneProject1
>Images
>Fonts
>Supplied Files
>PDFs
>InDesign Files

or something similar.

You can't move the file after you have it in InDesign, as InDesign is following a path that you told it to.

It could be C:\EugenesDocs\EugeneProject1\Eugeneimage.jpg

But if you move the .jpg to say C:\EugeneDocs\EugeneProject2\Eugeneimage.jpg

Then InDesign follows the first path C:\EugenesDocs\EugeneProject1\

and looks around, has a little poke around, looks behind the door, switches on the light, checks all the boxes, under the carpet, can't find it, says "Where heck is the file gone?" Scratches its head. Goes back to the links panel and puts up a little yellow triangle to tell you, "Hey, you moved that file! Where do I look now?" So you have to tell it, because it won't just put in any image for you, you have to tell it everything it needs to know.

Thank you for you input......I figured it would be something of this sort..

I'll try the packaging idea to test....

Thanks.

***This forum is the greatest***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back