Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to update a solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickbains

Technical User
Jan 22, 2007
US
I have database in a solution that I send out monthly. In-house we edit the database and make changes.. i would like to send an update instead of sending a whole new solution. how do i go about doing this - thanx

mickbains,

You are asking a question that doesn't have a simple or quick answer. FM jockies have been wrestling with this problem since day one and things got a lot better when our friends at Filemaker released version 7 but it is still troublesome.

I suggest you search the internet for "Filemaker Separation Model" and do as much reading about it as you can.

You could also script the whole routine (I think) but that could be iffy or downright dangerous depending on how many modifications your customers perform themselves.

There is a Design Caucus meeting that is published here:

I think the guests for the next meeting will be Colleen Hammersly & Wendy King who are a couple of ladies that are probably the leading experts on separation model theory applied to Filemaker Pro.

You likely won't be able to participate in the caucus but it is recorded for playback on the site I listed above.

I'm an in-house developer so I usually don't have to deal with the situation that you describe. I did deploy one small project using the separation model and was only moderately happy with the outcome.

-Striker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back