Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to update a component?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smohan

Programmer
Jun 1, 2000
IN
hi there,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;i am just starting with mts.so bear with me.i have created a component and packaged it and then deployed it in another machine.it is all working fine untill i try to update the dll in the server.if i recompile the dll with some more functions than the application that uses the component in the other machine also must be able to work with the new dll in the server.but it does not happen so.must i package the component again? plz help me.<br><br>my private mail is:<A HREF="mailto:mohan_kavi@yahoo.com">mohan_kavi@yahoo.com</A>

Yes...I believe so.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can compile over the DLL as binary but if you add new functions they don't show up in MTS methods until you re-setup the package.&nbsp;&nbsp;No refresh seem to work.<br><br>TonyZoc

hi folks,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;what i was saying was that,if i recompile the dll then nothing works.mts does not update.applications using the file does not work(these applications where working previosly).if i recompile even without any changes the applications stop to work.any tips?<br><br>mohan.

When you rebuild your DLL, what is your binary compatability set at?&nbsp;&nbsp;You should have it to maintain compataibilty with previous versions so that you don't &quot;break&quot; things when you come out with a newer version.<br><br>Chip H.<br>

<br>Chip is right, you must maintain compatability with the previous version of the DLL.&nbsp;&nbsp;The easiest way to do so is:<br>- initially compile your DLL<br>- make a copy of the DLL (name it anything you want)<br>- in the properties window of the project, click on the Component tab.&nbsp;&nbsp;In the Version Compatability frame, select Binary Compatability and enter the name of the copy that you just created.<br>-Reinstall the DLL on the server and resinstall your front-end app on the users' workstations.<br><br>From here, anytime you recompile the DLL, you can simply copy it over to the server and you don't need to do anything else -- you don't even need to reconstruct the package.<br><br>As you're compiling the DLL, if you make changes that break the compatability, VB will present you with a window to let you know that.&nbsp;&nbsp;In such case, you will have to start from scratch.<br><br>I hope this helps (more importantly, I hope I'm right! :)<br><br>Good Luck!

hi there,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;i did what chip and vb400 said.it is working now.but i still have the problem like i have to remove the component and add it again to make it remember the new methods.is there any other way to make it recognaise the methods in the package.but this does not stop me from using the front end apps.is it like that or is there any other way to do it.<br><br>thanx

hi there,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;i did what chip and vb400 said.it is working now.but i still have the problem like i have to remove the component and add it again to make it remember the new methods.is there any other way to make it recognaise the methods in the package.but this does not stop me from using the front end apps.is it like that or is there any other way to do it.<br><br>thanx

Instead of Exporting the MTS package you can just create the Object by specifing the Server name. In VB<br><br>CreateObject(&quot;Server.Interface&quot;, &quot;SreverName&quot; or IP-Address of server)<br><br>If you use latebinding none of the methods or properties are shown so it is not nessecery to make a reference to the object! I assume that you have made the component yourself and therefore know what interface it exposes!

I've had the same problem (the component sometimes stoped working when I made an update)<br><br>sometimes I have to shut down the component and other times I had to create a hole new package...<br>

When you make an update to a component installed in teh MTS you have to delete the Component, shut down the Package and reinstall the component to the MTS!<br><br>I dont think it should be neccesary to reinstall the package to the clients unless you make radical changes, like interface changes and stuff, but that are you not supposed to do. Instead you make a InterfaceEx or Interface2 that support the new requirement!<br><br>Nikolaj<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back