Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to unZip/uncompress files during a Visual Basic 6.0 installation program

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpierce63

IS-IT--Management
Jul 7, 2009
US
Hello All:
I have a VB6 application that is almost finished and I am now starting on writing the installation program. I have the need to copy over about 100 template files. So I would like to add these files to a single compressed file, then have the installation program uncompress these files during the install. The installation would be smart enough to uncompress this file and place the 100 files into the proper location.

I am using the packaging and deployment wizard that comes with VB 6.

In additional I would like to figure out how to tell a 'power user' to update this compressed file and replace the current compressed file. The 100 template files will change from time to time and I would prefer to not have to recreate the entire installation.

I really hope this makes sense. Basically what I need:
1. Create an installation program that can uncompress a certain file that contains multiple files (UnZip a file without requiring user interface during a VB installation program).
2. The ability to show a user how to update this compressed file and replace it on the current setup.

I really appreciate your help.
thanks
kp

Normally you'd just define these folders and the files to go into them and let the PDW build the cabarc format container files used by setup when installing. However the PDW doesn't offer options for advanced servicing (patching).

Using Windows Installer instead requires only a little tweaking to define major and minor updates, allowing simple data file replacement through "patch installs." Admittedly that's an advanced topic but nothing comes for free.

However since you mention the PDW you probably never acquired VSI 1.1 which Microsoft supplied as a PDW replacement back in 1999. Sadly the downloads aren't online anymore so you'd have to find some 3rd party who is hosting the two files involved today. You could also look at 3rd party tools or more recent versions of Visual Studio that include the necessary Installer project type.

These are far better alternatives than glomming in a zip archive, since the components can be properly inventoried and managed. Using a zip file means going behind the back of whatever setup technology you use.

Are you aware of the utilities available at You may find Zip.exe, Unzip.exe and UnzipSFX.exe useful.
Also don't forget the Expand and Compress commands (on any PC) which can be used in CMD batch files and the CMD UI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back