Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to unregistrer a deleted dll 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunaj

Technical User
Feb 13, 2001
DK
Hi,

Long time ago I made a test dll and put it in c:\tmp\test.dll and registrered it on my pc using regsvr32.

The dll is now deleted, but still registred in my system (it appears in the refrerence list in VB). How do I unregistrer the dll, when it no longer exist ?

Thanks
Sunaj

Regsvr32 has a /u command line parameter that un-registers. Try this in a DOS window (substitute "MyThing" with the name of your DLL):

regsvr32 /u MyThing.dll

Hope this helps -- WB

Hi

I've tried that, but the problem is that the dll no longer exist, so it comes up with an error:

----------------------------------------
loadLibrary("c:\tmp\test.dll") failed.
GetLastError returns 0x00000007e
----------------------------------------

Other ideas?

Sunaj

If the DLL is missing, you can not use Regsvr32.exe. What you can use, however, is RegClean.exe (available at which should realize that the binary is missing and remove the registry entries. The other option is to manually remove the ProgIDs, the ClassIDs, and the TypeLib info for your DLL. All of these can be easily determined if you remember the ProgID of your DLL. - Jeff Marler B-)

msdn seems to be down at the moment...

I found a few entries in the regitry pointing to my dll, and from the the ProgID seems to be 'JDraw.JDrawClass'.
How should I proceed? It is not obvious (to me) which registry entries to delete....

Sunaj

Under the ProgID, you will find the CLSID. Write down the CLSID and then delete the ProgID key. Then, goto the CLSID folder under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and find your CLSID, There, you will find the TypeLIB key. Once you have the TypeLib key, delete the CLSID and then go find the specific TypeLib under the TypeLib key/folder. Once you find the specific TypeLib key, go ahead and delete it.
This process is pretty easy, but if you have never gone through it before, be sure to back up your registry first (just in case you get the wrong spot). - Jeff Marler B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back