Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to uninstall Phantom programs from OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronan

Technical User
Jan 11, 2006
ME

Hi,
One of my apps is showing that between installed software, I have one AV and one Firewall installed and running.
Thee programs are:
-avast! antivirus 4.6.652 [VPS 0528-5]
- COMODO Firewall Pro ver. 3.0
In Ad/Remove and other applications showing installed software it’s impossible to find a/m programs and delete them.
Please advice me what I can do to remove them from my XP SP 3 OS.

Try a third party uninstallter utility such as Revo Uninstaller. If you are having trouble removing the applications with a third party utility, then try to manually uninstall the programs.

- Revo Uninstaller

- Uninstall Programs Manually

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Thanks for your assistance and help.
As these two programs are not visible, deleted all traces in the Registry for bot , than deleted all their drivers in Windows\System32|Drivers, but they appear again in TUT as active.
Very strange.... don't know what can I do next.

O.K. I give up, and I'm willing to show my lack of knowledge but what is "a/m programs" and "TUT" referring to?

Nothing to do with Pharaohs I bet?

linney said:
...what is "a/m programs" and "TUT" referring to?
My guess for TUT would be the Ultimate Troubleshooter. Sorry, no guess for a/m. Even my tech savvy nephew who does a lot of texting has no idea on that one.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

Linney, I agree, the first may be Add&Remove Programs CPL app (called Software on German systems), but the last I'd have no idea...

Bronan - besides the Registry and the drivers folder, take a look at the SERVICES, as the progs listed do drop service files that start at every boot...

alternatively, reinstall the programs! then uninstall them either through the ADD&REMOVE PROGRAMS Control Panel App (both programs do register correctly, unless there is something amiss in your setup) or through their respective Uninstallers located in their respective programs folder...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

If we are looking for drivers that load at Startup or Bootup (these may not be have recognizable and identifiable software names) these can be disabled via the Recovery Console and the Listsvc command followed by the Disable command.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Once you know the names of the loading drivers you can probably fish them out of the Registry too.

Found on the Net tool to clean Avast and will report results.
Regarding Comodo Firewall 3.0 , similar programs after uninstalling leftover lot of residues, but you can see results only after you install the software, what means when is to late.
I repeat again - how some program can be active on PC , and in the same time be invisible to all Windows O.S.

I repeat again - how some program can be active on PC , and in the same time be invisible to all Windows O.S.
a ROOTKIT is the only thing that stays invisible to the regular OS, everything else leaves a footprint somewhere, be it in the ADD&REMOVE PROGRAMS APPLET or with in the services...

now the Q: why are you trying to uninstall Comodo FW? and have you tried to INSTALL it again and then UNINSTALL it?

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

avast! Antivirus Removal Tool in Safe Mode done the job .
Now remain Comodo 3.0 to be removed.
@BadBigBen the answer is simple- besides Windows firewall and KIS I don't like to have a third firewall installed, especially if this one is crippled.

@Sympology,
Thanks for link, but unfortunately I read to late your post.Meanwhile on Comodo Forum read very long thread re. how to uninstall CFP and following tutorial found there, finally succeed to remove CFP from my PC for ever.
Again thanks a lot for your assistance and help.
Best regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back