Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to uninstall a package in red hat 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsys

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
hi,

I am rather new to linux. My question is about uninstalling packages in red hat 8.

In previous versions of red hat, I have seen a package manager (in X windows) that used to list all the packages that were installed. So then I could remove (uninstall) whatever package I wanted.

But in red hat 8, there is a package manager which lists only packages that were installed from the red hat CD. YOu can only add or remove from that list.Whatever package I downloaded and installed is not shown here. So in effect, I am trying to find out a way to uninstall these packages which I installed. Is there a different package manager?.

thank you very much for your suggestions.

If the package was installed as an rpm, then &quot;rpm -e <package name>&quot; will remove it at the command prompt.

For more information, please check out &quot;man rpm&quot;. ______________________________________________________________________
TANSTAAFL!

thank you for your response.

The package was indeed an rpm. But I was wondering if there was some way I could do the same (uninstall the package)from Xwindows?...especially since this was possible in red hat 7.2 etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back