Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to turn on a COBOL SQL trace in PS 7.53 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean9

Programmer
Dec 6, 2004
US
I am using the EDI manager to upload external vouchers and the vouchers keep getting placed in a "recycle" status for the same error over and over which isn't really an error. The error reads "TSE Prompt table edit; value not found in prompt table." for SUT_BASE_ID. There is no place to set up SUT_BASE_ID in the system. The prompt for this field is the SHIPTO_TBL. The default value in the record exists actively in the SHIPTO_TBL. So if you use Selective Line Update to view the errors, fetch the line (which has to be fetched using "Select Lines in Error" AND "Select Lines not in Error" because just the "Select Lines in Error" does not return any rows), and save, the voucher is then in postable status. So I said all that to say this...
How do I turn on the trace for COBOL SQL programs so I can see what is being fetched and when so that I can narrow down why the program thinks this is an error? I looked for logs on the server...none are produced for this type of COBOL process apparently. I looked at the Message Log for the process instance...very vague. So please, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
J9

Hi Jean9,

You need to turn the trace on through the use of config manager. There is a tab called "Trace". The Options in the left side are related to SQL trace and timings - you will also need to specify the output destination and filename otherwise it will drop it to a default filename and location (which I can't remember).

To get it to work immediately - or at the client level, you should also set the SQL trace options at the following menu path: Go > PeopleTools > Utilities > Use > Trace SQL.

Hope that helps.

I set the values on the configuration manager and through the panels as you suggested. The file produced by the trace turned on at the configuration manager was only calls to the database for when I accessed the database and calls for queries I ran. Maybe I selected the wrong things but it did not show any of the sql executed within the cobol program I ran. The trace turned on via the panels did not result in a trace dump of any sort that I have been able to find on my local drives or the server. I did not see a place to set that. Do you know what the default dump site is for the trace turned on via the panels? I did notice that after I saved the trace settings and re-entered the panel, my trace selections were reset as though I had never set them. Should this panel remain open during the cobol program run?

Hi Jean,

Every time you open the utilities/trace panel it resets to just the first tick box - but I am pretty sure it does not need to remain open.

The output file location is set in config manager on the trace panel - but I have found that it does not always start writing to this file unless you set it first in config manager and then log in to the application - otherwise it defaults to a name and location somewhere on the app server.

I always set the trace in the utilities and config manager.

The trace created should provide all of the sql selects, followed by a series of lines showing the setting of all of the bind variables and timings for each select.

I have not done this for a few years - so hopfully not leading you astray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back