Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to troubleshoot preferences in ACT! 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank100

Technical User
Oct 10, 2007
US
This thread needs a better title, but the information will explain itself, hopefully:)

I had a long, agnozing number of hours trying to determine why my tabs bar height and calendar widths were get getting smaller and smaller each time I opened ACT. I read the numerous knowledge base articles but nothing helped.

Finally, I got the brilliant idea to call ACT tech support. I have just purchased ACT and have free support for 30 days.

I spoke to a nice woman named Shirley. I agreed to let her take over my computer by an internet connection (amazing to watch, if you've never seen it!) and this is what she did.

IT FIXED ALL MY PROBLEMS! Hope this might help someone stop tearaing their hair out. It really should be made a knowledge base article (probably worded better than I've done). All the instructions may, in fact, be in the knowledge base, but not in any set of documents I saw. In any case, here the info is:

FIRST...CLOSE DOWN ACT! Then,

1. Right click on the Desktop and choose Properties.
2. Click on Settings, then click on Advanced.
3. Make sure that 96 dpi is chosen.
4. Restart the computer if the message box tells you to do so.
5. Next, go to c:\document and settings\name of user\Applications\ACT\ACT for Windows 10\
6. Rename the Preferences folder to Preferencesold (or put any characters after the word Preferences.
7. Open the Preferences folder (now renamed), and delete preferencesBak.xml, and any file that starts with that filename, such as preferencesBak.xmlold.
8. Go to c:\Program files\ACT\ACT for Windows.
9. Double click on ActDiag.exe
10. Go to the Tools menu and choose Delete preferences.
11. Start ACT and everything should be correct.

I tried your recommendation, but it didn't resolve my issue. My problem is with Call Preferences, I changed the Call Ring Alarm(under Tools-Preferences-Calendar & Scheduling-Scheduling Preferences) to "0 minites" and now I can't get it back to no "alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back