Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to transform large decimal number into HEX

Status
Not open for further replies.

q099973

Technical User
May 23, 2001
DE
Hallo ,

i have to transform a 20-sign decimal number into a HEX-number. Is works great with
"set i [format "%X" 32737]", but only for integers. How can I do it for large numbers???

Thanks
Franz

well, you can run "calc.exe" - put it into scientific view, select decimal format, type in the number, click the Hex button.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

divied is the best
divied by the place 16 256 4096 65536 1048576 16777216 268435456 4294967296 etc

it longer this way but you can do the lager numbers

gunthnp

manarth,

You mean you don't do it by counting fingers and taking your shoes off in necessary?

I'm shocked.

it works, but i run out at 00010100 :)

&quot;i have to transform a 20-sign decimal number into a HEX-number. Is works great with &quot;set i [format &quot;%X&quot; 32737]&quot;, but only for integers. How can I do it for large numbers???&quot;

What context are you looking for? How to do it using a particular programming language? In Excel? Or just a quick and easy way to do the calculation?

What do you mean by a 20 sign number? I learnt that numbers have 1 of 2 signs: + or - !
I'm presuming you mean a 20 digit number: 12345678901234567890
In which case I got a bit carried away because windows &quot;calc.exe&quot; doesn't seem to be able to handle numbers that long!

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back