Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to transfer DHCP config from NT4-2000 to 2003 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffshndl

MIS
Mar 25, 2004
US
This may be a lame question but here goes..

I've upgraded my NT4 PDC to 2000 (limitations with exchange 5.5 wouldn't permit a direct upgrade) and have managed to implement AD and sync DNS etc. except DHCP. I'm looking for an easy way to take the DHCP records and drop them into my new 2003 PDC from 2000.

My goal is to take this 2000 machine offline for a fresh 2003 install. I'm still using my AD connector for exchange but that's another problem for another thread.

Maybe I overlooked something but I'd appreciate any help you might have.

Thanks!!

Why would you transfer all your DHCP records? I would just reconfigure the new DHCP with the appropriate options (normally it isn't that much work) and then shut down the old DHCP server.

I haven't done it before and was just looking for a shortcut. If I have 2 DHCP servers in my domain.. doesn't that set me up for conflict?

Bad idea setting up a new DHCP server without bringing over your current configuration and database. The new DHCP will try to handout IP addresses that workstations already have. It's not pretty.

It's not hard to move the configuration from one server to another. I've done it several time. Here's a link to help you.

MikeL

I suggest first you set up your new DHCP.
Then on the old DHCP you take a short lease time and un-authorize and after a day or two (depending on your configuration) you can take it down.
I think there is a way to back up DHCP settings but I haven't done that either before.

This is the quick and easy way to me.

Brgds,
Beboen

I can't remember if this changed with 2003, but with 2000 you can only have one DHCP server per subnet (Active Directory).

MikeL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back