Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to track messages to External User(Address)

Status
Not open for further replies.

encata

MIS
Apr 9, 2002
ET
Hi All

Is there a way for the administrator to receive copy of e-mail or notified when someone sends external email(not for local users).This is to be done for security purpose.

My boss is ........
Help Please

Why you worry? Life is too short to worry.

Check out Microsoft KB Article 258206 regarding Installing Internet Mail Service Extension Imsext.dll. It includes journalling that is possible on a per recipient basis. I haven't used that function, jut the text append function. But I think it will do what you need.

pluggedin

Thanks for your response.
I got the article and am trying to see if it works for me. let you know the status.

Message Archival
Saving the text of messages. If you set the diagnostics logging level to Medium or Maximum in the internet mail connector, each message will be written to a file in imcdata\in\archive or imcdata\out\archive. You can than search these folders looking for key words or addresses.

This is what we do, this way we have a copy of all messages going in or out through our internet mail system. If you go this route you will have to manage these archive folders otherwise they will grow out of control.

freak12

That is fine .But I wanted options for a single user for sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back