Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to track ALL messages 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupportSystems

Technical User
Jun 18, 2001
US
A few weeks ago I found out that our server was acting as an open relay. I found the FAQ's and think I have the open relay problem contained because when I use the open relay test at it tells me that one of the tests allowed a relay but if the email doesn't get there its not open - the email does not get sent through. So believing that the relay is closed, I continue to see messages in the Queue in Exchange &quot;Outbound Messages waiting for delivery&quot; appearing with a from of &quot;<>&quot;. It appears as though the server is still attempting to relay but I can't find out where or why.
Is there a way to track EVERY message that gets sent through the server?

Thanks for any help - I inherited this responsibility recently and am still getting a handle on it.

i get the same problem with mystrious messages popping up in the IMS queue regarding <> originator, trying to figure out where the heck these things come from, hope someone can help with this, tried tracking the message but got stuck.

support

you can check your server using the following commands.

from start and run put in the command telnet <servername> 25

you will start a telnet session into your server.

type in the following commands in this order.

mail from: noone@nowhere.com

server will reply okay

rcpt to: noone@nowhere.com

server should reply relaying is prohibited.

if the server does respond okay. you still have an open relay.

type exit to get out of telnet.

well, my server was relaying, not a good thing, so went to the IMS properties and into the routing tab. enabled routing and clicked on restrictions button and checked off 'Hosts and clients that successfully authenticate'. that seemed to do the trick. exchange can be silly at times. hope this helps the next person. thank you itsis, you got me thinking.

ciao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back