Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Throttle Bandwidth on Home Network ?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcglitch

Technical User
Jul 9, 2004
US
I have 3 computers on my home network, all running Windows XP Pro. I would like to throttle (limit) bandwidth to just one of the three computers. Could someone mention some software that works easily for doing this, or if theres a script or somthing else that works that can be run to do this, that would be cool to. Any info on this would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

This might be of interest to you:

DU Super Controler 1.90

this is XP own throttler:
1.make sure your logged on as actually "Administrator". do not log on with any account that just has administrator privileges.
2. start - run - type gpedit.msc
3. expand the "local computer policy" branch
4. expand the "administrative templates" branch
5. expand the "network branch"
6. Highlight the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in left window
7. in right window double click the "limit reservable bandwidth" setting
8. on setting tab check the "enabled" item
9. where it says "Bandwidth limit %"
Source: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network
Play with the percentages until you get the desired effect, note though a lower number indicates a higher through put, so it is kinda reversed (e.g. 0 percent would allow FULL speed)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Thank you very much Ben, I can work with that. I knew I was over looking something that was more than likely already built into XP. Thx a million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back