Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to test bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodweb

Technical User
Feb 5, 2001
US
I own an Internet Cafe. I get my bandwidth from an ISP located in the same building. They claim to sell me a T1. I have no router, because I am connected directly to a switch at the ISP. It seems slow at times. Is there software../methods../etc.. to determine if I am actually getting what I am paying for?
GoOdwEb's Internet Cafe

go to click on tools ( left side of screen ) and scroll down to speed tests. folloe the on screen directions and it will show your internet speed at that time. Run the test several times to determind the accuracy. J.Fisher CCNA
Jeter@LasVegas.com

Is this site just for testing DSL line? We have a T1 line too. I tried this site. But it wouldn't proceed the test...?

This site should test any type of connection. You may have hit it when it was really busy. Sometimes the testing area is down too, and you need to come back later. John D. Saucier
webmaster@johnnyfilth.com
Certified Technician

There are numerous other bandwidth test sites on the net.
Search for modem speed test, or bandwidth test to find some. Not all will be of equal reliability.

If you are in the same building, you are probably 10 or 100 Mbit to your ISP. Check ftp speed to some local content at the ISP.

Find out what is ISP's connection to backbones? You could be seeing that get saturated, or congestion on the net.

Ask them to help you find the problem. Tell them they can come down for free coffee any time. If they spend enough time in you cafe and it is too slow, they'll fix it for their own sake. Advertise who your ISP is so that good response times reflect well on them. This should be a win-win for both of your companies.

goodweb to satisfy my curiousity, what is an 'internet cafe'?

Is it a real cafe, sort of 'eat and surf'?

Just curious!

PhiloVance
Other hobbies, interests: Travel, Model RR (HO Gauge), Genealogy.

Our Internet Cafe, in Missoula, Montana, has a dual T1 connection to the internet with 8 computer stations. We also provide LAN stations to bring your own computer in to hook up. we serve coffee, soda, snacks, etc.. Our patrons are mostly gamers. There is no DSL or Cable available around here. We lease the time on our network for an hourly rate.

Check out our homepage for more info..

GoOdwEb's Internet Cafe

Cool...we have one here in town (Bakersfield CA), always wondered what it was. This place features espresso. Like coffee strong but not that strong. Have to visit it sometime soon.

BTW visited your website, and it looks neat.

Philo :)

PhiloVance
Other hobbies, interests: Travel, Model RR (HO Gauge), Genealogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back