Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to test a L180

Status
Not open for further replies.

opticomit

Technical User
Dec 15, 2010
DE
Hi,

we think about buying a used Storagetek L180.
The device wasn't in use for about three or four years.
Is there any way to test, if the device works without problems. Can we run something like a self test or is there a special tool which simulates all the funktions of the device so that we can be sure, that there are no problems with it?

Are there anywhere any known problems with a used device like this?

Thanks for help!

Regards
Dennis

To test an L180 you need to put a barcoded DLT or LTO or STK cartridge into a user cell and run about 200 passes of the demo test, which is under diagnostics on the LCD menu. That will check the hand, cable & controller card.

To check the host interace, attach it to a PC running Windows server and the OS should pick it up in device manager as a media changer, and the RMS software in windows will be able to use it.

If it comes with tape drives you will want to check them also. Depending what they are they might have operator panel diagnostics, or you will have to check them online to the OS. They should all have a status of empty. You should also be able to go into 'drive configuration' and read all the drive scsi id's. If they show up as 'invalid' then you need to give them all a scsi id again as the L180 will have lost that info due to being powered off for so long.

Hi Dennis,

Wich type of drive has the library?. Some drives, (LTO IBM, for example), has self test from drive front panel).

Thanks for your answers...

Currently there are LTO3 drives in the library, but we will replace them with LTO4 drives, so the drives are not important.

The main thing is, that the robotic works fine, so i think we will try the selftest as STKman described it...

Hi Dennis,

You must check if the L180 firmware can use LTO4, i don´t remember now if it is possible...

I think that from 3.15 work fine...but, please, you must to confirm it...

Bye,

You're right R1957, 3.15 is needed for IBM LTO4. I don't have the info if HP or other LTO4 are supported with 3.15 though.

Thanks for this additional information...

How can I check, which firmware is installed? Can I see this in the integrated lcd?

If there is he old firmware installed, how can i update to the newer version?

Hi Dennis,

Yes in the LCD operator panel you can see the firmware level, on the first scren.

The update is possible via CSE connection on MPCL card. Do you have information, (service manual or anothers)?.

STKman, one questions... can i send to Dennis information across this page?

Thanks,

I don't know any way to send PDF's or other files using this forum. Hopefully the OP's library will be at the level he needs. The only way to get firmware from STK/Sun/Oracle is either buy it from them or get it for free by taking out a maintenance agreement. They just won't let you download it from their site. Another option to get firmware is to get in touch with a broker or spares reseller and get a quote for an advance exchange, where they send you a reconditioned MPC or MPCL controller card with the required firmware level, and you send them your downlevel card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back