Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to telnet to my remote router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward999

Programmer
Dec 26, 2002
MY

Hi may i know how to telnet to my remote router(cisco 1721).

What is the setting i need to configure at my remote router.

I need to telnet to my router with my valid IP address.

Please help...

Thanks in advance

edward

You can do it from a command prompt if you want.
Just type telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (xxx=ip address of router) from the command prompt and you should be able to do that if the router is configured correctly. If you get a password not set error then you need to access it via the console port and setup your passwords before telnet access will work.

The command to configure the router with an ip address should be this

conf t
int vlan1
ip address <ip address> <subnet mask>
no shut

That should do it.

If you need to edit the interface it will be interface fastethernet0 and not vlan1...vlan1 would be for configuring a catalyst switch...

actually, you need to edit 'line vty 0 4' to setup telnet, assuming your 'valid IP address' is public.

conf t
line vty 0 4
transport input telnet
login local -or- password xxxx

Degg
Network Administrator

hi Thanks everyone for your reply.

Actually my remote router have "nat pool" setting XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY netmask 255.255.255.ZZZ

I already set the telnet password for my remote router but i still cannot telnet to my router.

Should i telnet e0 ip address or use any "nat pool" ip address. I try to use my nat pool ip address cannot e0 ip address also cannot.

Please advice...

thx

1) Did you telnet from the "NAT outside" network?
2) Can you telnet from the "NAT inside" network using any IP address from the internal interfaces?

Hi thanks for your reply.

Actually my remote router located at my branch office and i need to access my remote router.

How to telnet from the "NAT inside" network?

What ip address i should put?

telnet XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

please advice...

thx

Say you are inside your branch office network (assuming this network is the NAT inside network) and you want to telnet to the router. Assuming that your router's internal interface has an IP address 10.0.0.1 and you actually have connectivity with your router, then type this in whatever shell:

telnet 10.0.0.1

Just make sure you have the connectivity and the proper privileges to access the router.

Thanks a lots lambent for your reply,

Actually my remote router located at another state which is not in the same office.

I need to telnet from my HQ network to my branch office network. My router located at my branch office.

I have NAT inside my network (HQ) and also NAT at my remote router.(Branch office)

So how to telnet to my remote router. What ip address i should use?.

Any idea..

thx

in this case you need to telnet to the IP address at the NAT outside interface of your remote router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back