Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to tell if you got a voice modem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvon

Technical User
Apr 5, 2003
CA
Hi all,
it's my first time here. I was going to install a software that allows to answer my phone.

I don't even know what modem I got? How can I tell a voice modem from one that is not? Any physicaly difference?

My win xp shows "Generic softk56" modem.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
hvon

you would probably want to upgrade modems. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

Open a terminal emulator, like Hyperterminal and type the following:

AT +FCLASS=?

and press Enter. If the response contains an '8' then your modem is voice capable. If it does not, then the modem is not voice capable.

But understand that voice capability does not necessarily mean that the modem can be used as a speaker phone. Many voice modems are 'half-duplex' in voice mode, which means that you can send voice, or you can receive voice, but you can't do both at the same time. Every voice modem that I have seen that has 'full-duplex' voice capable advertises itself as a speaker phone.

Half-duplex voice modems make excellent answering machines and CallerID logging devices.
pansophic

pansophic= expert!!

good going!
"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

Thanks for all your help. I think I better purchase a new one.

Regards
hvon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back