Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to tell if a Keystroke logger is installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobTheMad

Programmer
Jun 11, 1999
US
Ok, this might not be the most appropriate forum to post this, but it was the best i could find =)

I have this sneaking suspicion that there is some sort of Key-stroke logger installed on my PC. Not sure how it got there (room-mate, virus, etc), but I need to find out for sure. Does anyone know how one would go about detecting if one is active/installed?

Thanx in advance Thought for the day: Beware of Gods who cannot laugh...

As long as it's your PC, the question is appropriate.

Some run so hidden and protected, it's doubtful you'll know it. It won't appear if you tap the Alt_Ctl_Del keys either.

You could go to Start>Find>Files & Folders and type *.exe.

When you find one you can't identify, right-click on it, choose properties, then the version tab. Or simply double-click on it.

Or download this free utility:
Sinfo (System Information) is designed to help advanced users and programmers by providing information on several behind-the-scenes aspects of Windows. Here's a link:
Has many other uses (closes the advert.dll hidden window, can move positions of windows, can re-name window titles, closes banner advertisments, and has an excelent Screen Capture built in.

reghakr

search for
run=
load=
in the registery and win.ini
and run:
msconfig
and in startup tab u will find all programs which run on startup.that will work in windows 98
good luck i can help
mselim2001@yahoo.com

"Can't_Hide" is a bloated proggy not worth a D/L ( a 6.5 MB download and 3.54 MB installed and show minimal infos in an impoverished text-based GUI !).
_"Sinfo" is 329 KB installed and offers better infos.

_ "DDLShow" (271 KB installed; shareware by Gregory Braun; expensive : 25. bucks for 271 KB , come on ! )

_ "SpyGuru 1.6.2" , freeware from Tucows, 1.5 MB installed, is the best! It offers lots of options and a technicolor GUI !

The problem with all these types of proggies are :

_ They all fail to detect "Stealth" type of spy programs ( i.e.None detects Spector 2.1 ).

_ They can detect keyloggers alright but if you do not know loggers' names. you won't recognize them ! Are you sure you know all keyloggers in market ? The worst thing is the .exe file sometimes bear an entirely different name, unrelated to the program's name.

Best wishes,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back