Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to tell if a dll/exe is part of .NET platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeveloperJr

Programmer
Mar 10, 2007
US
Hello everyone,

I am using reflection to get a list of the assemblies that are referenced in my dlls/exe. My goal is to find out programmatically if I do have references to .NET platform 1.x.
The idea is to loop through the list of referenced assemblies with major part of the version equal to 1 and send the string name of the assembly to a function to answer the question “Is this assembly belongs to the .NET platform?”
My problem is that I can’t find a comprehensive list of all the dlls that constitute the .NET platform to be able to reliably implement the above mentioned method. Any suggestions/ideas?

Thank you all in advance.

You might take a look at this:

The article has links to several free and GPL utilities to examine a PE header, some of which come with source.

Chip H.

Hi,

Thanks for your kind reply but I am afraid we are talking about 2 different things. I have no interest – not for this task at least – in digging into the details of the PE format neither this is what I am trying to do. What I am after simply is that if I have a dll, I need to infer – by some how – if it is part of the .NET platform or not. For example, I know that MSCorLib.dll is a central part of the framework so does System.dll and System.Text.dll, System.Drowing.dll, etc. What I am trying to assemble – or acquire – is a comprehensive list of these .NET core libraries so I can load them into a dictionary lookup my dll to decide if it is a member of the .NET framework itself or not. Any ideas or advices will be highly appreciated.

OK, then I reccommend you do a clean install of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 on a machine or in a VM. You can then go look at c:\windows\assembly to get a list of shipping assemblies from the GAC.

The reason for looking at both OS's is because a workstation install of .NET is different from a server install of .NET (there are differences in the garbage collection strategy and other differences as well).

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back