Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to take registry backup ? and restore it ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberdyne

Programmer
May 1, 2001
IN
Hi All!
Many times we come across the articals where we need to edit into registry. We are warned that first take backup of registry before making any changes to registry.

I wonder how we do it ? Is it by exporting from regedit ? or is it by copying system.dat file from windows folder to some where else ?

And What next ?

If we take backup and find that by editing registry the purpose is not solved and want orginal registry back. How do we resote it from backup that we have taken earlier ?

Reply soon.

Thanks

Apoorva

Export from regedit is the go, you can export just the key you are working on or the whole registry. Select an appropriate file name and the backup will be saved as a file with the extension .reg
To restore, simply double click on this file in Windows Explorer and its done. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Thanks Mulga for replying promptly!

few more doubts.

When i restore from exported registry ,

what ever changes I have made in current will be gone ?
or exported one will be mixed with to exsisting one to give old + new registry ?

( I dont care for that changes actually)

Also how can i take backup of registry every time windows boot ? I want that by the name i specify once.

What command line parameters are to be given ? n e idea ?

If you export the complete registry and later restore it any configuration changes you have made since the export will be lost and any programs you have installed will probably not work, although their files and shortcuts will still be there.

Not sure about creating backup on every boot but I am sure there are 3rd party programs which will do this, or I suppose you could write a batch file to copy user.dat and system.dat to a specified location and put it in the StartUp group on your start menu..... bit clunky though. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Yes Mulga!

Thanks for info and replies.

I got the idea. The batch file idea is ok. but that would be difficult to do as it will take long time to boot every time. Once registry goes bigger it will be very slow. So i drop the idea of backup :) Mine current system.dat is over 9 MB. lol so i forget the idea.

About registry i was doing the same from so long but was in doubt if i was doing it right or not.

Thnx for answers

regards,
Apoorva

registry back-ups
windows is supposed to use the prog SCANREG during power-up to back up the registry. if you access SYSTEM INFORMATION IN ACCESSORIES/SYSTEM TOOLS you will see a "TOOLS" button this gives access to a registry checking program which can also do a back-up.
restoring reg back-up
boot as normal but hold down ctrl key
at menu, select "command prompt only"
at C prompt do SCANREG/RESTORE (SCANREG/? GIVES LIST OF OPTIONS)
this displays a list of back-ups and dates and you select the one that you want

cyberdyne, Win98 by default backs up your registry each time you start (I believe the number of backups is five, someone correct me if I'm wrong, please) via a program called scanregw. But, there's a simple two-step process you can do before you make any changes to your system, either hardware or software, that will cover your behind re the registry.

MS has two unsupported utilities, namely RegClean and Eru. First run RegClean to ferret out errors in your registry. Once you get a clean bill of health run Eru. What Eru does is create a compressed backup of your total registry, backing up ten critical files (autoexec.bat, config.sys, win.ini, system.ini, command.com, msdos.sys, io.sys, user.dat, system.dat, protocol.ini). In addition to the ten registry files in the same folder Eru includes a file titled Erd.exe. What Erd.exe allows you to do is restore your Windows registry from a DOS prompt. You boot to a DOS prompt, go to the folder you designated in Eru, and run the file erd. It will ask if you want to restore your registry. Answer Yes, reboot, and you'll be good to go in Win98.

There is a shareware program WinRescue that does a great job of backing up critical files and multiple registry configurations and save by name or date.These backups are much more reliable than MS restore options. Goto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back