Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to suspend a users email account

Status
Not open for further replies.

HD101

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2003
US
NT 4.0 Exchange 5.5 SP 4.0 +Hotfixes

I need to be able to suspend a users email account. They shouldn't be able to send or receive any kind of email. I can remove their SMTP address to stop incoming, and I can hide their account. Will this stop them from sending and receiving? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Not sure if there is a "proper" way to do this, but I have done as you have described before and found that users were still able to mail out using their X400 address I think.

What I do now if drop their mailbox limits so they are denied send and receive.

Any better ideas anyone?

Andy

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

Thanks Andyleates,
I also changed the primary NT account to a bogus user account created for this purpose. I have tested it on another computer with the original account and when setting up Outlook it can't find the email account.
Thanks again. Any other ideas will be very helpful.

That or disabling the NT account should be sufficient. ONce disabled, they are not aloud any access to any resources... unless you allow anonymous SMTP sending..

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Removing the associated primary NT account will certainly stop a user accessing their mailbox, but sometimes this is overkill. To allow internal email access, but to restrict the sending of external email, the IMS has a Delivery Restrictions tab that can be used to restrict the sending of external email.

A really neat solution is to put a DL created for this purpose in the tab of the IMS, and then individual users can be barred from sending external mail simply by adding them to the DL.

Thanks for the additional ideas. I hadn't thought about a DL.

To really stop ALL mail traffic to/from the mailbox, in Exchange Admin -> Open mailbox, click on Limits tab, under Message Sizes put the value 0 in the Outgoing and Incoming fields.

People sending mail to the mailbox will receive a NDR.

JonLP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back