Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to study VB.NET? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vovan1415

Programmer
Dec 6, 2001
US
What would be the best way to study VB.NET?

I am very good in VB6 but have not studied VN.NET...

I know that VB6 is old technology right now ....

Any books, classes?

Thanks
Vlad

My recommendation... take a Java class or two. VB.Net shares a lot of syntax similarities with VB6, and you have the experience of and expectations of a VB6 programmer (I did too when making the jump!) Coding in Java is almost identical to coding in VB.Net (syntax aside). Both are similarly structured Object Oriented development languages that compile at run time (roughly).

Anyways, if you take two classes of Java, then jump into VB.Net, it will make a lot more sence than if you just jump straight from VB6 to VB.Net.

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

vovan1415, my advice is and has always been to invest in some type of training rather than a book. .NET is immense and there is a lot to learn and it can be overwhelming. Check out the .NET training series from AppDev, its what I used and it brought me up to speed a lot quicker than a book could. Books are great references, but in this case i needed more than that to get me started. The programs they offer are a little pricey but when you consider how much time you will save its worth it to you and your company. ;)

once you get into .NET if you're going to be writing apps against a database check out StrataFrame. It'll save a lot of time and frustration.

I think Rick is probably right. I was a VB6 programmer and it has been very difficult trying to pick up .NET going straight from one to the other. I don't have any Java expereince but the more examples I've seen from the folks here are indicating to me that I might need to get some.

I have had a week-long training session to get up to speed in .NET last year and it helped a lot, but everything is so different it takes a lot of work to get up to speed.

CraigHartz

Being a VB6 programmer I started programming VB.NET after having read one book. This forum has been of great help.

I would suggest besides training to take a VB6 program and using the converter try to make it work in VB.NET. This will put a lot of the theory into prospective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back