Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to store data selected in unbound combo boxes??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcsteve

Technical User
Feb 26, 2002
US
Hi! I know this must be wildly simple, but I just don't get it. I have a simple need to track the frequency of grade reports by teachers for each of their students.

I have developed a form which has five unbound controls (3 Combo's and 2 Textboxes). I was told to set them up this way so that I could make Combo2(courses taught by a teacher) limited or filtered based on selection in Combo1(Teachers). And Combo3(Students in a course) could be filtered based upon Combo2(Course selected). And it works via combo query and refresh macros.

Here is my problem: I don't just want to look up the data, I need to track/store the data so that I can check (1) how often a given teacher generates reports? and (2) how often reports generated for a given student? It seems as if the form needs to be bound to an underlying table in order to store numerous records. However, doing so in my setup prevents the filtering I need from box 1 to 2 to 3. Help this novice please!

KC:

I assume that your users click a command button once they have made their selections in the combo boxes. If so, create a new table and write the info from your combo boxes to the table whenever the user clicks the command button.

If you need help with the code, let me know the names of the controls and I can help you out.

TerpFan,

Thanks for your willingness to help. I could definately use help with the code.

I do not have a command button for submitting the data, but it makes sense to me. I presume I would have a button with an "on click" call of a macro to write the data to a table. I'm not sure how that macro would work (if that is a viable approach).

As for my box names, here are details

Combo1 is named "Teachers"
Source is: SELECT[Teachers].[Teacher ID],[Teachers].[Short Name]FROM Teachers;
After update it calls the "Refresh Courses" macro that requeries "Courses"

Combo2 is named "Courses"
Source is: Teacher Combo Query
After update it calls the "Refresh Students" macro that requeries "Students"

Combo3 is named "Students"
Source is: Courses Combo Query

Text1 is named "Date"
Default value is set to: Date$()
This is used to save the date the report was given.

Text2 is named "Comment"
50 character text box to record comments by the user.

The form is named: "Teachers and Courses"
(although a more appropriate name would be "Teacher Report Log" or something to that effect)

I hope that is enough detail. I can zip you what I have with sample data if it helps. Let me know.

Steve:

Why don't you send me the file:

If Access 97 - DonnellyFamily@worldnet.att.net

If Access XP - pdonnelly@cdrassociates.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back