Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to stop winxp showing all shares in the network neighbourhood 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

megoon

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2003
DE
Hi,

we have a workgroup consisting of various clients and servers with misc. windows operating systems. None but only winxp clients show in the network neighbourhood all available shares irrespective of the ntfs/network permissions assigned to the users logged in this specific winxp client.

Is there a way to restrict the view of the network shares only for that users who have also appropriate permissions to the shares in winxp?

Thanks
Egemen

My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > Deselect "Automatically search for network shares and printers"

This will stop XP looking for shares on your network but if there person knows that share is there they will still be able to see it. But if you havent given them the correct premissions to access the share then they wont be able to access it.

You can also make shares hidden by adding the $ after the share name.

That does not do anything! I rebooted the system as well but nothing changed. The are still there!

Goto My Network Places Select the shares you can see and delete them reboot they should show up again, unless they are drive mappings.

In WinXP one can prevent this behavior by changing the following user policy:
Run Gpedit.msc using "Start Button" -> "Run..."
In the Console Window go to this folder "User Configuration" -> "Administrative Templates" -> "Start Menu and Taskbar"
Go to the entry "Do not add shares of recently used documents to Network Places" and double click it and set to "Enabled"
It is the same as setting this DWORD registry key :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Policies \Explorer]
NoRecentDocsNetHood = 1 (Default = 0)

Note after disabling this feature one manually have to remove the listed share-shortcuts.

There is a builtin scanner that crawls the network and any share or printer discovered are added to My Network Places or Printers and Faxes.

The scanner is started in the following situations:
At startup
When opening My Network Places
When refreshing My Network Places by pressing F5
The scanner is not started if one of the following conditions are true:
If more than 10 computers are detected sharing folders (To be gentle on corporate networks)
If using DUN or VPN connection
If the scanner is disabled.
The scanner saves its findings here (If more than 7 days old then they are deleted)
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Explorer \Netcrawl \Shares]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Explorer \Netcrawl \Printers]
To disable the automatic scanning:
Open Control Panel
Double click Folder Options (Inside the grouping Appearance and Themes)
Select the View tab
In the Advanced Settings list untick Automatically search for network folders and printers
It is reflected with this DWORD value in the registry:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Explorer \Advanced]
NoNetCrawling = 1

source:snakefoot

Clearing Existing Shortcuts from My Network Places:

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Taskbar & Start Menu.
Click the Advanced tab.
Click Clear to remove records of recently used documents, programs, and Web sites.
Click OK.

Thanks, now it is working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back