Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to stop users from filling up their local drives on 2003 domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
We keep trying to train users NOT to store personal files on their local machines because we re-ghost those machines when they have problems rather than troubleshoot every client. But, this just doesnt work. They still store gigs of stuff mainly on their local desktop. The users dont have assigned desktops and move around all the time so mandatory profiles are probably out of the question because of the proliferation of printers and other problems. Im thinking about implementing disk quotas on the local clients just because I can't find any other way to slow them down right now. I know how to implement quotas on our servers but Im not sure if I can use a GPO to set quotas on local client machines and Im not having much luck finding any info on that. Anybody have any suggestions? Anywhere I can look for a solution?

thanks

Guess I should have mentioned this, but we have a mix of XP Pro and Win7 Pro clients. Our DCs are 2008 server but we're running at 2003 functional level.

thanks for any suggestions

If you are trying to get the users to save their data on the network, then you can redirect their profile folders to a file server. This way when they save files to the 'My Documents' folder or elsewhere, it is actually being saved to the server and is otherwise transparent to the end user. You could also use roaming profiles, but in your mixed environment it may get messy as Windows XP profiles are not compatible with Windows 7 profiles. Another option to use rather than setting a disk space quota, is to set a user profile quota with Group Policy. This way you can limit how large the individual profile of the user gets. You can even create a custom message to tell the user they need to save their files elsewhere before they can save anything else to the computer. In the long run, I believe folder redirection would be your best bet. This way they end user will be saving to the server unconsciously rather than having to go out of their way to save it to a network location. Below are some links for further information with these suggestions.

- Folder Redirection Overview

- Setting Quotas on User Profiles

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, CWTS

that quota on user profiles might take care of the problem. I have never dared to use roaming profiles because they store so much crap in their profile that it takes forever for them to log on when they move from machine to machine... If i can limit their profile size then i can do roaming profiles..

thanks, ill look into that profile quota..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back