Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to stop Relaying SPAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrannon

IS-IT--Management
Dec 19, 2001
US
We have a Exchange 2000 server that is constantly relaying spam.

It is not an "Open Relay Server". But it is forwarding spam from other servers.

I can not turn off Relaying because I have POP3 Clients around the world. I have it set to only realy from Authenticated users, but this allows any SMTP Server to relay through my server.

My plan is to allow relaying from only one subnet. I can require all of my users outside of my domain to use a VPN to access there mail. By doing this I can insure that they all are in the same Subnet.

Will this work, if not why?

Also is there a better way to stop this from happening?

i had a similar problem (using Merak Mail server) , and i found out that for some reasong, the relaying spam server knew the user name and password of one of the accounts, specially if you don't have a good user name and passsword complexity.
just a thought

The Queues (Outbound Messages Awaiting Delivery) get full with returned (undeliverd) spam mail that has no originator only (<>). Is there any way to stop or ID the originator so it can be blocked by address or IP refusal. Thanks Moe

See the FAQs HERE about relay !

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back