Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to stop Record Locking 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazzza

Programmer
Dec 21, 2000
AU
We have an Access db on a LAN with about 12 users and every so often it has a record locking error I have jacked the setting for Update Retries to 10 (max) and Update Retry Interval to 1000 (max) this has slowed down the number of record locking errors but still it happens. Sometimes it happens if someone leaves the swithboard open this will stop another user from being able to save their changes. Can anyone suggest any other ways of stopping record locking errors.

Garry

Hi Garry,
I've been stuck with this problem once or twice before:
You could do a couple of things...
Set the timer interval of an offending form to say, 600000,
(Thats 1000/sec x 60sec x 10 minutes) and in your forms on timer event in VB add this:

DoCmd.RunCommandacCmdSaveRecord

Or get even nastier and do something like:

DoCmd.Close , , acSaveYes

Both can cause issues if the record is half filled but you could do some tests in your environment, add some error handling code around the saves and see how it fairs. You might also check that recordsets that were opened are all closed after use, no other bizarre timer events doing things, and if the network is solid. Databases can be called foul pretty easily by incompatible operating systems too... Ideas?

Gord
ghubbell@total.net

I would have the switchboard close every time you have it run a final command. (Open a form, run a query, etc)

Also I'd add the timer thing for 1 minute, reset every time someone hits a button. People should know what they want when they run your database.

Or you can upgrade your back end to server software that can handle this sort of thing better. :)

Later,
ErikZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back