Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to stop "Messenger Service" pop ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkylessKnight

Technical User
Jun 29, 2003
US
A lot of people are having problems with the new pop ups, yeah, we all know they're a pain in the arse. In XP, goto start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, double click servies... Go down to "Messenger" Click STOP, and the choose Disable in "Startup Type". Apply > OK. Have fun!

SkylessKnight
If you are getting these come up, I strongly recommend that you enable the XP built in firewall on your internet connection.
(start -> settings -> Network and dialup connections -> right click on your connection, choose properties, security tab and there is a box to enable built in firewall. Do so.)

Note that although the XP built in firewall does a good job of hiding your PC from others on the internet, it doesn't protect at all against outoing programs, unlike some other free personal firewall software.

John

jbarnett,

Enabling the firewall by itself is not sufficient.

Disabling the Windows Messenger service will work, or making entries for Netbios service ports with the firewall will work as well.

Unless one has a compelling need for the Messenger feature, disabling the service is an effective and harmless way to stop this spam traffic. Blocking netbios service ports is not only harder to implement but as well could have unintended consequences.

Bcastner
The firewall worked fine on my sister's laptop, stopping NetBIOS messages. I haven't disabled any services on it except Computer Browser and Server, as although she uses it on the uni lan, it is only their network DHCP and bandwidth for internet connectivity that are used.

I agree with your view that disabling the service is an easy way to stop the messages.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back