Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to stop "error finding file" on bootup re BTMAGIC.IMG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

posterperson

Technical User
Feb 11, 2002
CA
I had a program called BootMagic. I uninstalled it. Now whenever I reboot, the rebooting stops and I get a "error finding file" notice saying "can't find the file BTMAGIC.IMG...hit any key to continue". This is annoying and must be stopped, so I can return to "mindless reboot" status :)
I have Windows 98 SE. Any tested solutions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

chadnspot,

Check these startup locations:

If Win98, go to Start>Run, type msconfig, click the startup tab and check here.

To permanently delete the entries, backup the registry and/or export the following keys:
go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
and delete the entry in the right pane.

Go to Start>Run, type sysedit. Look over the autoexec.bat for unneccessary lines, click the win.ini and check for programs loading here:
[windows]
load=
run=

Check the Start>Programs>Startup folder for shorcuts.

If none of these apply, look for a .ini or .cgf file in the root of the c: drive. Here's a list of the commaon files that appear:

C:\COMMAND.COM
C:\BOOTLOG.PRV
C:\BOOTLOG.TXT
C:\Autoexec.bat
C:\Config.sys
C:\DETLOG.TXT
C:\IO.SYS
C:\LOGO.SYS
C:\MSDOS.SYS
C:\NETLOG.TXT
C:\RESETLOG.TXT
C:\SCANDISK.LOG

If this all fails, use the Windows98 bootdisk, at the prompt, type:
sys c: <and hit enter>

Then restart.

reghakr

Thanks, reghakr! Unfortunately I tried each and every one of your careful, considerate ideas and could find nothing relating to BootMagic which I could delete in any of those places :-( As far as re-inserting the CD, it is back at my home office and unavailable to me. Unless of course, you meant to offer a solution to someone else's problem, as your reply is written to &quot;chadnspot&quot; and that ain't me! Anyway, thanks again. Anyone else have any ideas?

The Windows98 bootdisk is a floppy. Use the sys c: command after booting up with that floppy.

If you don't have the original, borrow one or go to
reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back